Friday, January 18, 2013

Bounce

I was working at home when a friend called me up and asked me out for a drink.

He wanted to start a business, a physical shop of some sort, a brick-and-mortar extension of his online business that sells things.

He obviously has made his decision on what he wants to do, so when I asked him why he wanted to talk, he said he merely wanted to bounce ideas off me.

So for some reason, I explained to him, at 12 midnight, at a mamak shop with lettering on the sign more befitting a Chinese restaurant, CAPEX, OPEX, A&P as well as marketing budgets. I felt like I could use my corporate powers for good, and so I did.

Since everything is about me, I also bounced off some story ideas for various platforms. I am working on new, or perhaps old, but new to me, media platforms on content delivery, as well as finally write the stories, novels and scripts I have promised people these past two years.

I had an idea for a sports movie, but since all Malaysian studios rejected that story, and I myself do not believe any production can pull it off properly, I believe it could work as a book. A novel.

I have so many things left unwritten, it drives me crazy everyday. However, I believe everything happens for a reason. All this delaying writing all these things down have given me some time to mull them over in my head.

I am confident with some major changes I am making in my life, that I could finally go back to these ideas I have ignored for so long.

"Don't tell me you want to write forever," said a person to me, condescendingly, years ago. The answer is yes, I do want to to write forever. I see nothing wrong with it. I like it, and writing has given me so much joy.

People do things for different reasons. Many writers I have met said or implied they write so that other people would say how great they are. I find this extremely insecure, but I understand. I had the same thoughts when I was younger, thinking, "These writings are so bad, if I improved just slightly, I will be hailed a genius!" And make money.

I made some money. Not a lot. And I can safely say that I do not need people to tell me I'm a genius. I know I'm a genius. The greatest mind of the 21st Century.

Writing, to me, is communication. I've always had problems communicating my great ideas to idiots and monkeys, so writing is the best chance I have of conveying these thoughts and images inside my head.

Sometimes, you find some people at certain points in time when you can bounce ideas with them without having this feeling that you're talking to a monkey, or a white-faced gibbon, and that's cool too.

I am blessed to have met quite a few in my lifetime and it is my resolve to spend more time with them rather than on idiots, monkeys and conmen who do nothing for my blood-pressure.

I am grateful that some of my family members are also highly intelligent and we could converse on a level I am comfortable with.

For example, I read a lot about religion and can explain to another what tetragammaton is (the voice of God and an order of police officers practicing gun-kata in the Christian Bale vehicle Equilibrium) and they can tell me how alpha particles in radiation work.

However, communication doesn't only happen at an intellectual level. You can also communicate at an emotional level, and the stuff I want to do, both for my professional and personal projects this year all have a mixture of both. I hope it works, but if it doesn't, if none of it gets through, I'll still enjoy the process.

SOme people wrote that most things start with an idea. Neil Gaiman said that all things began with a dream. I have many ideas and a lot of dreams, so I have started many things. Now, I am looking to finish them.