Saturday, September 8, 2012

The KL 48Hour Film Project

I'm joining this thing. It's the KL48 Hour Film project. It's a thing where you go and do a short film over 48 hours.

The project is to get teams to do a short film in 48 hours. If I understand the rules correctly, the genre will be given randomly at the start (along with a prop, a line of dialogue and a character) and all creative work has to be done within 48 hours.

It's been filling my mind after work and during lunch time. I still dedicate the rest of my day to work, though, because I can't drop the ball with my bread and butter. Work has developed quite okay anyway and I think we are making progress.

Anyway, I have found three people who are confirmed to be on my team. There's a dude who has only done corporate videos and proposals - a friend from my days in UM, another old friend who has collaborated with me on scripts for TV shows, as well as a young guy who has all the spirit in the world. The young dude also has more experience directing than any of us. It's also a nice departure from some of us who are jaded about a lot of things.

There are talks of an actor, but I have not met him yet.

Tomorrow, I shall meet a potential actress-slash-editor for lunch. I hope she joins. There's another girl who can do some blase expressions which would be great for a number of stories.

We are compiling our equipment list, to prepare for any number of genres. I have also scouted some locations, briefly. I wanted even to do a short before the thing starts but after reading this:

http://www.kl48hourfilm.com/guide/rules-regulations/

I am afraid we might be disqualified if we do another short beforehand as it can be considered 'rehearsing' even though we come up with totally different shorts, for different genres. I think it is best to avoid that altogether.

I think I should curb my enthusiasm and simply scout the locations next weekend again. That's allowed under the rules and as first-timers, I want to know as much as I can before doing anything. The locations would mostly be our own homes, and I want to see what we have there. Maybe a bike or a car or some shit.

The random genres, plus the prop and character and line of dialogue means we can't write any story before we even do the thing. I heard from some participants that everything gets thrown out the window as soon as the period starts.

Seeing the quality of work some teams have managed before this, I don't think we have a chance of winning or getting placement, with over half the team being inexperienced in shorts. I think the best we are aiming for is a weekend of fun and the knowhow of doing a creative film project.

This takes a load off our shoulders, I believe, and makes the damn thing even more exciting. If we manage a half-decent effort, I'll submit it to any place that accepts short films. If the effort sucks, then it sucks and we'll just upload it on YouTube for our own wanking.

Like KL 48 Hour Film Project 
Invite your friends tohttps://www.facebook.com/events/285477894898727/
Check out http://www.kl48hourfilm.com/ for info & updates
Click the share button to share this on your timeline & page