Sunday, May 27, 2012

Furi Kuri



This AMV (Anime Music Video) is a summation of why, in my youth, I totally loved Gainax Studios. Granted, this is a fan project, but the song suits the anime - FLCL - to a 'T'.

FLCL or FuriKuri or Fooly Cooly is a six-episode anime which tells of the ultimate coming of age story ever. Fuck The Body or Stand By Me, this is the best coming-of-age tale ever.

It has all the symbolisms of the time - TV as an angel of mercy for a lot of youths and families, the emerging sexuality and attraction between opposite sexes, living in the shadow of a perfect older figure, alienation, loneliness and the bittersweet pangs of growing up.

The protagonist's forehead becoming a gateway for giant robots to come out is an analogy for the creative surge most people experience at this time. I used to write 17 short stories a year, during that period. There were lots of things to express, back then.

Nowadays, I don't have much to say because I understand that everything will eventually follow a few set of normal endings, and I am not bothered by that anymore. In fact, I relish it, and I like being in the present.

Eventually, we all stop struggling and we die. Before that, though, let's just enjoy the ride.