Friday, November 11, 2011

Off the Fasttrack

I live in a fast world. Everything whizzes by so fast these days, and I am an old man.

Let me ask you a question - when was the iPad launched? Three years ago? Six years ago? Nope. It was last year. June of last year. And yet it feels like it's always been there.

Ideas that seemed revolutionary just a few months or weeks ago are now stale. Lame. Boring. This is why I liked journalism. Every day, it's a new thing, a new story.

I generate and chuck out ideas at an alarming speed. I think of them, fall in love with them, and then I throw them out.

However, while I follow the tempo, the rhythm for idea genesis, I am still a traditionalist when it comes to certain things. I believe that certain things should be meditated on, and for some craft to be allowed time.

Because being fast and pretending to act like you're fast are two extremely different things. If, at the end of the day, you consume the same amount of time to do things properly, why waste time and energy on acting?

Whenever I sit down in front of a keyboard, I turn off all external bullshit. People might be killing each other, bleeding themselves with blunt rulers or some shit, they can say and yell and sing all the fuck they want. I'll be in my world, and in it, time stops, all noise die down. There is absolutely nothing, except myself and my work.

Because, really, fuck everything else. That's all bullshit. All unnecessary, all for the ego. All lies and manipulation. The evils of the world stemming from deep-seated insecurities.

So, take your time. Relax. Take a deep breath, and do whatever. Cause no one and nothing is worth anything. We are all, to quote Tyler Durden, the same all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

Humans are like a virus.