Thursday, June 3, 2010

Repent, Harlequin! Said the Tick-Tock Man

A lot of people say that they are a jinsei no seito - a 'student of life' - but they hardly know life's lessons when one passes them by.

In the past three years of my life, the most significant 'lesson' which I have experienced first-hand is that the world is in karmic balance.

I have witnessed it first-hand. What you do unto others, gets done unto you. It's not magic, and fuck the mechanics, but it's there.

People who act from spite, jealousy and hatred, eventually get crushed by even bigger spite, jealousy and hatred.

If you stay true to your code of honour, truth, beauty, freedom and love, that is all you would eventually find. There might be bumps along the way, and you might arrive at the destination a bit worse for wear, but hey - at least you didn't spend all that time wallowing in a pool of angst and self-pity.

If you ask me, this is the basis of my belief system. I make it a conscious effort that at the very least, any and all actions come from good energy. And as the Dungeon Master from the Dungeons and Dragons animation said, "Good and bad energy are just energy. Turn bad energy around, and it becomes good energy."

I'm not advocating false niceties, as that goes against truth, but I am talking about having a solid foundation when you act. In anything, a solid foundation in something is vital to ensure good quality in the finished product.

I have seen some performances, where the show got so self-indulgent and incestuous that it just sucked.

The best shows I have seen, are not the ones with the biggest whatever or the longest whatever. Money, simply buys you time with which to perfect your craft. Time is indeed a luxury.

Anyway, the best shows I have seen is when the love for the material and respect for the audience shines through everything.

Cause when you do shows, or write stuff - write anything - it is simply perfecting communication. Reaching out to other people and touching them where it counts. Art is communication Communication is communication. Commerce is communication. Everything is communication.

If your communication style is great, there is nothing you can't do.

I got into journalism as well as the entertainment business because my communication skills sucked. I thought it would do me good to train myself in something I considered as the hardest discipline of all. To face my fears and weaknesses, so to speak.

Which shows that I am still weak, as I have strayed into other things when all I wanted to say when I started this rant was to live life, to act, from a position of positivity and without spitefulness or envy.

No ego. Just self that is not the ego.

You might not understand this, but we are not our egos. Our egos constantly try to deceive us into believing that it is us. It is not. We are everything that is not the ego, and that means the universe minus the ego.

When you move or act from the position of self as the universe, then the whole universe moves with you. Like Tenggen Toppa Gurenn Lagaan. See how much power that brings. How much freedom.