Monday, June 28, 2010

Other People's Lives

Some of my friends have me worried. But I know that my worry and concern are temporary, and will pass. I also know that no matter what I do or say, their lives are theirs to live. I can't live it for them, make their decisions for them or even make them feel what I want them to feel.

I tried that before. I'm a superhero, right? Batman always has a plan. I am the power of good and the way of the magic. The light, the truth. Whatever.

In the past, I imposed my fearsome will on some people. And they never learned anything, and keep on making the same mistakes. It was easy for me to see it - I was watching from the outside. I was watching the paths I myself have trodden. Maybe that is what it is like for people I look up to, who constantly advise me on things.

"If I could, I would dower you with experience, without experience."

- Neil Gaiman's father.

Letting go was, and I guess still is, one of the hardest things for me to do.

If you're someone I care about, I will stand by you, regardless whether you are right or wrong. Right and wrong are human concepts anyway, and change with time. But whenever I do that, they keep on running up to the same wall and get their noses bloodied.

It frustrates me, sometimes. But I am not God. It's not my job, really. End of the day, I am just a man. A really, really, really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking man, but a man nonetheless.

I can only wish you well. Oh well.