Sunday, March 21, 2010

How I Spent My Weekend, By Amir Hafizi, Age 30

My weekends are Fridays and Saturdays. Cause I'm a Jew.

On Friday, I slept till 4pm, woke up, took a shower and went bowling. It was a bowling event organised by the good folk at FlyFM.

Now, if there is one thing you should know about me, know this - I am absolutely dreadful at bowling. My previous high score was 40 or thereabouts. Therefore, my only intention that night was to have fun, as I know that hitting 100 points is akin to finding the Holy Grail or something.

And so I bowled for two games, and got the scores 51 and 52. After that, the folks from FlyFM took us to dinner, where at the end of it, two people from The Malay Mail won prizes. I also, brought up the rear as some sort of 'Raja Longkang' and also managed a prize. I thank the good people for a grand old time.

Then, it was off to see some friends who picked me up at One Utama and drove me to Rasta. There was Rodek, Dira and their third wheel Cheepork.

We had pseudo-intellectual conversations concerning method acting versus practical aesthetics, as well as hairy balls.

Rodek wanted some feedback on his stage plays. The aspiring playwright is a prodigious talent, but worries too much about reception.

If I could give him any advice it would be that, no matter what you write, or where, people will hate you for it. So just enjoy the ride, my friend.

Then, it was home, just in time for some writing. I also watched almost all the Harry Potter movies, in fast forward, and fell asleep at 5am.

Today, or rather, on Saturday, I cancelled one meeting, and scheduled a Korean BBQ dinner with Cheepork, Rodek and Dira, a meeting with a hot singer at Bangsar, and then off to the movies.

I went to Midvalley at 5pm to get the tickets for a midnight show, only to find that ther were only 17 tickets left to Alice in Wonderland 3D, with 200 people in front of me.

So, I opted for the normal seats.

At 7.30pm, I was already at the Korean BBQ place. Cheepork and I ate our own body weight in teriyaki beef, black pepper chicken, an assortment of other meats, fish balls, fish cakes, some delicious kangkung, washing it all down with a few pints of Shoggoth's Old Peculiar.

Then, as Dorek and Rida, I mean, as Rodek and Dira arrived, I had to make a quick getaway as a hot chick was waiting for me.

Despite the fact that I had my apartment cleaned earlier and was ready for sex, I do not think that I would be putting my dick anywhere tonight. This is strictly business, though I must say, I do enjoy the company of a hot, intelligent singer who writes quite well and wishes to have some feedback on her writing.

Then, just as Cheepork, Rodek and Dira arrived at Devi's Corner, I had to leave for the movie. Took them damn long enough.I was waiting for them for the better part of two hours, though the company was definitely no torture.

So I was in Midvalley, and I watched a movie. Alice In Wonderland. I expected more, but it was all right. Not something I would watch five times, but hey, it's an okay movie.

And now I'm back home, and I will do some writing.

Thanks to all who made this a wonderful weekend. For the most part of my life, I was obsessed with the day I die. About how I would die (a morphine overdose and later burned in my library by torch-wielding villagers who thought of me as some sort of sorcerer).

Until somebody quoted someone who said, or wrote, "The last day of your life is just one day. What about the other 36,500?"

It is not the destination, they said. It is the journey. And it has been a fun ride.