Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mother! Father! Family!

I am writing something with a collaborator. It's about a family. Basically, my assignment is to write a family I would love to be a part of.

Honestly? I don't have any desire to be part of any family. I mean, I already have one. Why would I want another family?

My family is like a Malaysian version of The Addams' Family. We are morbid, dark, dysfunctional, but it works, somehow.

As a unit, we can be extremely evil. If we can agree to hate anyone, we will destroy that someone. We would spend 30 years having revenge for a long-forgotten slight. The amount of hate that we are capable of, if we get together as an evil council, is the most powerful force I have ever encountered. So thank God we are chronic individualists.

So it has been a challenge. Instead of a family I would like to join, I make it what other people might seem to be attracted to, in a family.

You know, like an all-accepting, non-judgmental whatever the fuck. Yeah, I know. Unrealistic, but hey, this is fiction.